Hello everyone 🙂 Today was a crafting day and while perusing blogs last week, I discovered a really cute 3D box design that I decided to try. It’s called the Explosion Box. There are several variations and they can get extremely complicated and intricate. As this was my first one, I kept it reasonable simple. This is the one I made.
Isn’t it cute? To open, you just pull off the lid… and it explodes open. I made this box for Shannon. A little something to let her know I love her and to remind her that anything is possible. I included a couple of retired dangling charm trinkets from Stampin’ Up! Shannon and I both have a thing for keys — they symbolize opening doors to opportunities, possibilities and following your dreams (or at least they do for me.) And, we like crowns too 🙂 ’cause, you know.. I am a queen and she is a princess! lol
It’s a very easy box to create. Below you’ll find the basic instructions to make your own 3x3x3 explosion box with lid.
- For the box, cut from card stock 9″ x 9″
- For the lid, cut from card stock 5 1/8″ x 5 1/8″
To make the box:
- Score your box card stock vertically at 3″ and 6″; repeat horizontally. You will have 9 squares.
- Cut the 4 corners on the diagonal, from score mark to score mark.
- Score the 4 cut corners from the center of where you just cut to the scored lines. You will have 5 scored squares in the shape of a “+” and at each corner, 2 triangle shapes.
- Using my picture above as a guide and fold all the score lines. The corners will fold into the inside of the box. When you’re done you have the basic box shape.
To make the lid:
- Score your lid card stock vertically at 1″ and 4 1/8″; repeat horizontally.
- Cut and notch at the 2 score lines on one side of the lid; repeat on the opposite side.
- Using bone folder, fold all score lines.
- Adhere the 4 notched flaps on the inside of the lid.
I’m also including the original video I watched from Splitcoaststampers that I used as my inspiration — and explains (better than I) how to make it. If I remember correctly the instructions in the video are for a box 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″ x 2 1/2″. I’ll have to watch it again. lol If you haven’t heard of Splitcoaststampers you really need to visit their website — it’s awesome!
I hope you enjoy my exploding box pictures and the Splitcoaststampers video. Have I inspired you to make one yourself? I think this is a great idea for packaging small gifts.
I also decorated one of the boxes from the Boutiques Boxes Designer Printed Kit. That’s coming in another post 🙂